Thursday, September 9, 2010

A place for a leaf, Project 1

This is one of my early ideas.  Framing the leaf while showing off the structure of the leaf.  The design was somewhat flimsy and did not completely relate to the leaf.
After a feedback session it was suggested that I elongate the frame.  Here I did this and also attempted to make the frame relate more to the leaf itself.
The above two images are of one of my two evolved ideas.  The pleating of the paper was a response to the nature of the leaf, being small and many.  I allowed for part of the leaf to come out of the frame, which was part of my initial idea.  The paper used is trash paper which is light and soft, like the feel the leaves evoke.

These two images, above, are of my second evolved idea.  Here I tried to use the paper in a way to relate more to the leaf.  I chose a tighter pleat pleat with more spacing between the pleats.  This gave a very structural feel to the place.  The linear lines created by the paper directly relate to the thinness of the individual leaf.  This allowed for a longer frame which also related more to the proportions of the leaf.  I really enjoy how the light comes through the paper and interacts with the leaf.

These two images represent a combination of the first two evolved designs.  I started working with Velum, which is somewhat stiffer than the trash paper that I had been using.  I felt this related more to the rigidity of the leaf.  I also reduced the thickness of the place to better relate to the leaf itself.  One side of the box features many cutouts that allow parts of the leaf to escape from the leafs place.  I also incorporated a cutout on the face of the place.  This design is very close to where I want to be.  At this point, any additions need to directly relate the leaf and its place.  I appreciate the simplicity here.
Further feedback suggested that the place for the leaf hang on the wall to celebrate the way the light plays with the space.  I thought it might be necessary to create a spine along the top of the place to add support for this idea to work.  This also correlated directly with the structure of the leaf.  The challenge here was to tie the two sides of the spine together so the place for the leaf kept its box shape.  I figured out a way to weave a piece of paper through the spine to tie the two sides together.  Problem solved...  not so fast.
Here you can see the spine in place on one of my final places.  Even with the paper woven through the spine, it wanted to open up.  At this point I decided that the spine was not really necessary as the Velum would support the leaf.  The spine was detracting from the overall sense of place and needed to be removed.
Here is the Final place for my leaf.  It hangs on the wall with the help of integrated, hidden pins.  This allows the light to pass through the place and highlight the place for the leaf.  I have incorporated the idea of the leaf escaping the frame from my initial design while working with the design to make the best place for this leaf.
Here you can see the slimness of the design which relates directly to the shape of the leaf.
This image shows two major design ideas.  The pleats have been modified to a pattern of twos.  When you look at the back of each leaf there are two distinct white lines which relate directly my choice of pleat patterns.  The second idea is creating a purposeful place for the leaf to escape the face of the place.  By widening the space between the pleats in one specific area the space is meaningful and intentional.
Here you can see the bottom view when hanging.  The cutouts relate to the openness of the leaves in mass.  This is the best place for this leaf.

No comments:

Post a Comment